My Travel Guide to a Splendid Sunday in Bangalore


On a lazy Friday while I was browsing the internet I happened to stumble across a TED talk from an Inspiring girl which gave me the push I need to get ready for a 'Single Female Traveler' #SFT Sorta Journey. 

I grabbed my travel guide which I purchased many many months back and took out the Bangalore map and started marking the places to explore. For those of you who want to start exploring Bangalore, There is a guide I'd like to recommend- 'Get to know Bengaluru better'. I think it is published by someone called CitizensMatters.in. I find the book very handy to pull out random pages and get all the information I need to plan my short trips. Here is a quick shot of how the book looks:


OK OK.I admit. Only the top left picture is the actual click of the book. Rest 2 other photos you see above is a result of my creativity combined with boredom.

 Getting back to what I was saying, I randomly browsed a few pages of the book to decide on how to spend my Sunday and decided what better way than to sort out a marathon trip of visiting all the churches in Bangalore. Sundays are meant to be spiritual and I ought to use it that way.

First I thought I will visit all the Churches in Bangalore that are there in that Bangalore Guide. Later I decided to make my plan more realistic and sort out all the Churches I could visit from Morning to Afternoon. I took my scribbling pad and jotted down names of a few Churches from the map available in the book. After that I checked on how to get there and how much time will it take + the costs of the trip. My budget was manage my trip from morning to evening in 100 rupees. You might be surprised how pocked friendly Bangalore can be when you are running on a Budget. Also this site is very handy if you want to plan a very efficient trip using the Bangalore Public Transport AKA BMTC. 

So this is how my trip went.

 9.00 AM: Marathahalli Bus Bay: Boarded bus #330 something to take me to a place called Trinity Circle. I've read a lot about a very famous church in this area called 'Trinity Church'.  There is a good history associated with this Church and I wanted to see it in person. Also, The Mass was scheduled to start at around 10 AM  and I wanted to make it in time for the Mass. As soon as I boarded the bus, I asked the bus conductor for my very own -the very famous- 'One Day Pass'. The best part about Bangalore bus Day Passes is that in just 70 Rupees you are all set to travel around any place in Bangalore in any of the Non- AC buses for the entire day on just 70 Rupees! How is that for my budget planning. #Awesome!

9.35 AM: Reached Trinity Circle. As soon as I got off the Bus at trinity circle bus bay I saw the church in a corner of the street. A very small humble church it does look like. But once you step inside, you will see for yourself the magnificence and history echoing on every sculptor inside the Church. This is how the church looks from the outside and at mass hours it is completely packed with people.


I couldn't get any clicks of the church interiors because my Book-Guide told me that photography is not permitted in this church. But let me tell you this- you need to see it to believe it! There are so many many big 'In Memory of' stones put on the walls of this church on the inside. You will find names of people who died in battle, who died on the seas, who died of plague and some who had just natural death. What ever be the cause, there names are still there on the walls of this big church reminding you that one day it will be your turn as well and till that one day comes, you need to live life to fullest being the best you can be in Faith, Love and Godliness.



12.20 PM My second stop on the journey was to St. Mary's Basilica near Shivaji Nagar Bus terminal.
I took another 330 something bus at trinity circle to take me to Shivaji Nagar. I proudly flaunted by Day Pass to the bus conductor and avoided paying any further expenses for the bus ride.

12.40 PM I reached Shivaji Nagar Bus terminal and made my way by foot to St Mary's Basilica which was right around the street. This is one crowded street let me tell you! Apparantly one of the biggest shopping zones of Bangalore are right next to this street so I had a hard time navigating myself to reach the church. Once I finally reached there, I was completely spell bound. See for yourself a few pictures I took there to show you why I was spell bound.



This is probably one among the many finest cathedrals I've ever visited. As soon as you enter the gates, you are transported back in time to a place somewhere in Italy for all I can think of. There are so many sculptures and paintings and colors.

Let me tell you a brief history of this church. Long long back in time, there was a plague/disease the crept around in Bangalore. It was almost at this time that the church was being rebuilt/renovated.  Every of the plague infected person who came to this church has found freedom from their disease. And from that time on, this church became a place for Miraculous healing.


 If you can see in that picture, to the bottom left, There is a sculpture of Mother Mary and Jesus.It is at this sculpture especially that people are reminded of that mass miracles and come to pray asking for miracles,health,healing and happiness in their lives as well.

I spent an entire hour at this place of worship amazed at God infinite wisdom and the ways in which he chose to work Miracles in peoples lives especially when they least expect it. The is a time for everything!

1.45 PM  I made my way to my next stop in the Journey which was St John's Church & St Xaviers Cathedral. I went to Shivaji Nagar Bus terminal where there were ample number of buses going to 'Coles Park'. Both of these churches were walkable distance from Coles park.Even in this bus ride, I aint had to spend a penny. My bus pass took care of it all!

2.10 PM I reached Coles Park almost lost. I soon realized that all the roads leading to Coles Park were almost like one way street. I got off the bus almost lost not knowing where to go and how to get there.I had to walk to reach my destination but little did I realize that this was going to be a long long looong walk. I started walking and soon enough realized that I was totally lost. I finally nerved up the courage to ask a stranger for directions. That wasn't of any help either as most of them told me to walk straight and left and right. I finally realized i needed technology.And this is where my 'Google Maps' came into picture. I keyed down the route to St John's Church and went walking as per the directions shown on my Google Maps.

Now here is the funny part. I wanted to go to St John's Church but Google Maps ended up talking me to St Xaviers church! Either ways I was in luck. I found one of my destinations at last. But my luck didnt last long. The mass was done long back and the church doors have been closed by the time I got there. #Note to self: Never be late!

I got a good view of the exteriors of the church and at the same time a key hole sorta view of the nteriors as well. It is all made of STONES! yep no brick,no paint,no wood-All Stone. This is how the church looked like.



I really liked the paintings on the entrance of the church. Also, there was a stature of Mother Therese that I had a glimpse of. Apparently history stated that Mother Theresa has visited this church and the statue was put up in her honor. Also I really loved the spacious outside of this church. I could also see the stations of the cross put up on the boundaries of this church to remind all the visitors of this church the signifinace of the cross. Also I had to tell you one more thing I saw. There was this billboard that has bible verses for the day. And for that particulate day that I went, the verse of the day was - Philippians 2:14-"Do Everything without Grumbling or Arguing".  That in itself was my food for thought.

2:30 PM I started my walk to St John's Church which was less that mile away from St Xaviers. I reached soon enough only to be disappointing. The church was completely locked. Even the main Gate of the church was locked up. Here is a picture to prove that I actually went there.


3:00 PM So after being so disappointed that I wasn't able to see St John's church, I lost my energy to walk any further. I realized it wont be of any help to take my trip any further as probably all the churches might be closed. To add on to I received a phone call from a certain someone reminding me that Monday is almost around the corner and all this traveling marathon might make me a Tired Tom Sawyer on Monday Mornings. Point taken and I took an auto to Shivaji Nagar bus terminal and boarded a bus to get back home. It cost me around 30 Rupees to reach Sivaji Nagar Bus terminal. And again my ride back home was free of cost yaay to my Day Pass.

4.30 PM There! That was the end to my Short Splendid Sunday. And everything within a budget to just 100 Rupees. I reached my room happy, satisfied and all ready to kick my shoes off for nice power nap!

Comments

  1. Interesting one!! Would defenetly follow your guide to visit these places sometime.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do if you are having a mid life crisis?

Cinderella and the 4 Knights KDrama Review

Talk about things that matter